A mud-ridden opening to the 2011 Australian SX series witnessed a bitter sweet result for Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Dean Ferris in Melbourne on Saturday night.
Twenty-one-year-old Ferris got his Lites class debut off to a great start by dominating his qualification race with a hole-shot and strong victory. Ferris would do the same in the first, of the two final races as he again led the race from start to finish, showing impressive speed and control to take the first moto victory.
His third consecutive hole-shot of the night put Ferris in the perfect position to take a double moto victory when he hit a tuff block and went down. He quickly recovered to third spot but hit another block in the slippery conditions on the final lap and eventually crossed the line in 10th spot.
“The track conditions were quite tricky tonight but I enjoy the mud and that showed in my speed as I was the fastest guy out there but then I hit a tuff block in the second final moto which threw away the victory. I’m really happy with the performance of my bike and am having a lot of fun on the KX250F. There are five back to back races in the series so the secret is going to be consistency.” admitted Ferris.
Round 2 of the 5 round series heads to Wollongong at the Win Stadium in New South Wales on the 29th October.
Image: Rudy Baker- Kawasaki
LITES top 10 results – Round 1
1. Matt MOSS – JDR Motorex KTM: 2,1 TOTAL 47
2. Luke STYKE – Serco Yamaha: 5,2 TOTAL 38
3. Brendan HARRISON – JDR Motorex KTM: 4,3 TOTAL 38
4. Josh CACHIA – JDR Motorex KTM: 3,5 TOTAL 36
5. Dean FERRIS – Monster Energy Kawasaki: 1,10 TOTAL 36
6. Steven CLARKE – Team Motul Pirelli Suzuki: 10,4 TOTAL 29
7. Adam MONEA – Team 07 Axis Motorsport: 7,7 TOTAL 27
8. Kirk GIBBS – Serco Yamaha: 15,6 TOTAL 21
9. Robbie MARSHALL – Yamaha: 13,9 TOTAL 20
10. Casey TURNER – Suzuki: 9,13 TOTAL 20
LITES – Top 10 Championship standings
1. Matt MOSS – JDR Motorex KTM: 25
2. Luke STYKE – Serco Yamaha: 22
3. Brendan HARRISON – JDR Motorex KTM: 20
4. Josh CACHIA – JDR Motorex KTM: 18
5. Dean FERRIS – Monster Energy Kawasaki: 16
6. Steven CLARKE – Team Motul Pirelli Suzuki: 15
7. Adam MONEA – Team 07 Axis Motorsport: 14
8. Kirk GIBBS – Serco Yamaha: 13
9. Robbie MARSHALL – Yamaha: 12
10. Casey TURNER – Suzuki: 11